We are the oldest Cymbidium club in Australia, and formed in the early 1980’s. The club meetings are held at the Allan G Ezzy Community Centre, 1 Newport St Pemulwuy on the 2nd Thursday of the month from March-November. All visitors are most welcome.
Established: Early 1980’s, being the first single genera to be affiliated with The Orchid Society in New South Wales.
Postal Address: 51 Chamberlain Road, Padstow Heights NSW 2211
Current Membership: 120 Members, all active members within club.
President: Dr Geoff LeMarne
Vice President: Mr George Serhan
Contact, Secretary & Treasurer: Mrs Judith Brooks
Committee: David Brooks, Andy Gatt, Bill Goodridge, Seong Tay and Nat Cicciari
Join the Cymbidium Club
Print the Renewal and New Membership Form and post, with your accompanying payment, either Cheque or Money Order, made payable to the Cymbidium Club of Australia to:
Cymbidium Club of Australia
51 Chamberlain Road
Padstow Heights NSW 2211
Point Score Competition
All exhibits need to be on the bench in their appropriate class 10 minutes before the start of the meeting.
A clearly printed benching label with the correct name of the plant, the class it is to be judged in and the owners name is to be placed with the plant/bloom.
For those members with a computer, a sheet with benching labels for the monthly meetings has been included with the bulletin so you can print and fill out your own, prior to the meeting.
If you are unsure in which class to place your plant, ask one of the judges.
The general benching classes at all meetings (including the Winter and Spring show) will be as follows.
- Standard (< 100mm)
- Pendulous (all sizes)
- Small Standard (85-100mm)
- Intermediate (60-85mm)
- Single Bloom- Std/Small Std/Int./Min.
- Miniature (up to 60mm)
- Small Standard Miniature
The Committee/ Judging panel may amend this as required.
The Winter Members’ Show will be held at the July meeting, the Spring Members’ Show at the September meeting, with the Extravaganza at The Arena Sports Club, Rookwood Rd, Yagoona in August.
- To accrue points or receive prizes from benching at monthly meetings, members need to be financial.
- All exhibits, including single blooms, must be owned by the exhibitor for a minimum of six (6) months before benching.
- All plants are to be in show condition (ie. dead leaves, bulb sheaths etc removed) and free from disease, otherwise they may not be judged.
- Blooms should be presented undamaged/unmarked. Damaged blooms may be considered at the judging panels discretion.
- A seedling is a plant shown for the first time and must be the whole undivided plant and can only be accepted up to a pot size of 250 mm for 2022 only to allow for plants that couldn’t be exhibited due to Covid.
- Plants are only eligible to be judged as a seedling during their first season of exhibition.
- If a single bloom is from a seedling, then entering it in the single bloom competition does not prevent it being entered in the Seedling of the Month/Year competition in subsequent years.
- All classes will be judged for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places.
- All plants benched will receive 1 point towards the Annual Point Score competition, with no limit on the number of plants an exhibitor can bench each month.
- Points will be awarded for single blooms towards the Annual Point Score competition at 0.5 points per bloom, to a maximum of 12 points per exhibitor per month.
- Members may only exhibit one flower from a particular clone, but may exhibit other flowers from the same grex. (one flower from each of Dural Dream ‘Dural’,‘Supreme’ and ‘Picture’ for example)
- Points will be awarded for Class places, as follows:
- Pot Plants
Each pot plant benched will receive 1 point plus placings
1st place 3 points
2nd place 2 points
3rd place 1 point
Champion pot plants will receive 3 points
Each bloom benched will receive 1 point plus placings
1st place 1½ points
2nd place 1 point
3rd place ½ point
Champion bloom will receive 1 point
- Prize money for places in the Showbench and Seedling classes will be paid at 1st $3.00; 2nd $2.00; 3rd $1.00. Prize money in the Single Bloom classes will be paid at: 1st $1.50; 2nd $1.00; 3rd 50c. These prize monies will be cumulative and paid at the end of the year.
- In addition, the overall Seedling of the month will receive $50 at the meeting, provided there is a minimum of 10 plants across at least three of the seedling classes.
Cym. Mary Green ‘Showgirl’